Sunday, March 22, 2015

Year 3, Day 332

What's Up. So today's song is Adelaide by Old 97's.


This band is as old as I am which I always find very cool. They formed in 1993 in Dallas, Texas. During their career the band has released 14 albums. Some of those are unique ones being live or shared with other artists, but there are ten standard studio albums all their own. These guys started off as your typical bar band and toured the country after releasing their own debut album. In 1994 they split an EP with Funland (another Dallas band) through Funland's label. It's in Chicago a year later that they finally caught the attention of a record label on their own. Most songs are written and sung by Rhett Miller, with bassist Murry Hammond picking up the vocals on one or two tracks per album. Hammond also did some country covers, especially in the band's early years. This bassist is someone I particularly like since he sang gospel in church too, making him a fellow choir geek. Both of these guys have released solo albums over the years while still in the band, who have become known for being great live. They apparently never rehearse though so I guess they're just that good. The most interesting thing about them though is that sometimes they perform under a different name. They released an album called Satellite Rides, but sometimes they use it as a name performing as Satellite Riders when contractual obligations prevent them from using the Old 97's name. So Satellite Riders is faux "tribute band." I find this hilarious. Anyway there's a little history for you, enjoy the song!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment