Hi. Today's song is It's My Party by Lesley Gore.
This isn't some secret explanation of how my birthday was...although I did have a panic attack yesterday, but that was a misunderstanding. This is today's song because I just heard the news that Lesley Gore has died. I'm crushed. I've been singing this song and known all the lyrics since I was a kid, and was listening to classics like this before I even had friends. She deserves to be remembered by everyone, her life must be acknowledged. She was born in New York, and raised in New Jersey by her family. Her career started with this song, which she recorded when she was 16 years old. As you can imagine, it was a huge hit. The song was #1 and sold more than a million copies which earned it a gold status. She released a bunch of other songs as well which all stayed in the top 20. Another song of hers that people still know is You Don't Own Me, which sat at #2 behind The Beatles' I Want To Hold Your Hand. During her time in high school and college, she released numerous albums which were received very well, and she was featured on Batman and The Donna Reed Show. After college she released some more albums (totaling 11 over her whole career) and composed music for Fame in the 80's with her brother, receiving an academy award nomination for her efforts. One of the prominent things she devoted her life to was the LGBT issues, starting in the 2000's. She came out to the world in 2005 after living with her partner for more than 23 years. She was an amazing woman and will truly be missed. Thank you for being who you were.
Peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment