Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Year 3, Day 356

Hello. So today's song is All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor.


I know that literally everyone knows this song already, but I've had it saved since before it went super nova viral and everyone got sick of it so I need to put it up even if no one plays it right now. I hate the controversy that it started because I was so happy there was finally a song that wasn't subtly hinting at being thin. Even if some songs don't comment on it in the music, there is subliminal messaging in videos and I thought this one was beautiful. I didn't expect all the backlash about skinny shaming to be a thing and I was truly upset people were focusing on that. After how much fat shaming there has been in the world, and usually from some of the people freaking out about the skinny shaming I didn't want to listen. Yes we shouldn't make fun of each other at all, I know that. But I truly feel this song was not made with the intention of making skinny people upset with themselves, it was meant to be empowering for the ones who normally feel shame. I've been listening to both sides for months and now I've made my own opinion about it, and I think this song is fine. It's started both healthy and unhealthy debates, the controversy has served its purpose now we should just focus on if we like the song or not, which despite it being overplayed so much, I do.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment