Hey. So today's song is My Town by Buck-O-Nine.
I hate waiting for emails. It's so boring and annoying and irks me to no end. I sent professional emails that simply require a yes or no answer and no one will get back to me. Since I've been just waiting around, I decided to do more research on the bands while I wait. Let's start with this one. These guys formed in 1991 and are a ska punk band. Some of you may be younger and not know what ska even means, but ska-punk got really popular around the time of this band. Ska-punk basically means that you're mixing the punk vocals with fast tempos and a cleaner vocal/musical sound. So let's break it down a little bit: Ska first appeared in Jamaica in the 1950's and is characterized by the walking bass (regular quarter note movement) and accented rhythms on the upbeat. There are three notable periods of ska. The first is the Jamaican scene, and then in the 1970's ska was mixed with punk to create ska-punk, the movement is known as the English 2-tone revival. Then the last one is the movement which brought European bands into the mix and includes the spike in popularity in the 90's. If you've never heard ska before definitely look it up because it's a very interesting genre. My Town was Buck-O-Nine's most popular song and the album is was on (Twenty Eight Teeth) sold 400,000 copies. As the ska-punk popularity faded, the band decided to stop doing huge tours around the world and mostly play shows in California. So if you live in California, you may see these guys some time. Anyway that's all for now, see you tomorrow!
Peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment