Friday, October 12, 2018

Year 5, Day 336

Morning. Today's song is Every Breath You Take by The Police.


This is a British rock band that was active from 1977 until 1986, then briefly came back for a year in 2007. Famously, the members were Sting, Stewart Copeland, Henry Padovani, and Andy Summers. Okay, I've always wondered why he's called Sting, and apparently it's because the jersey he wore was very...bee like. Copeland and Sting had both been in bands before forming this group with Henry. When Sting was invited to join a band project, they met Summers. Summers wanted them to get rid of Henry in favor of him, which the others resisted at first but ultimately complied with. Trios were rare at the time, and it set them apart from other groups; then the added benefit of trademark blonde hair (from a shelved commercial) made them memorable. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the band before today so this is the first I'm hearing about the hair but it reminds me of the day in junior high when half the boys in my grade came to school with bleach blonde locks. I went to school with a lot of hockey kids and apparently their teams had to either shave their heads or bleach. It was a weird day. The Police got really successful, one of the first new wave groups to earn mainstream success, and released five albums in six years. In 1984 the group went on hiatus so Sting could pursue a solo career which freed up the other to do the same. They got back together in 1986 to play some gigs and talked about making a new album, but Sting wasn't really into it and Copeland got wrecked by a horse and couldn't play, so ultimately the group disbanded. Two decades later there was a fad of groups coming back and, like I said yesterday, capitalizing on the nostalgia play. The Police were one of the groups to do it, getting together for a 30th anniversary tour. Sting was always adamant that he would never get back with the group and seemed to think he was way better than them, so his "change of heart" to do this tour... I call bullshit. He seems like a tool to me. So does Summers too since he started a mutiny of sorts. Copeland seems okay and Henry got a really bad deal so for those guys I wish them well.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment