Hello, today I give you I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston.
Whitney Houston started out in a gospel choir, and got a really good music education from her mom who was a gospel singer. She would hang out at some of the clubs when he mom performed, and would even join her on stage for a song or two. A talent scout saw them sing together one night, and recruited her into modeling, which she made quite the career at. She did some vocals on the side while modeling. In 1983, once again someone saw her performing with her mom, a record guy this time, and she was offered a worldwide recording contract. Fun Fact: she is actually the cousin of Dionne Warwick, and her "aunt" (like how your parents best friends were your aunts and uncles) is Aretha Franklin, both of whom I have slated to show you in a couple days. Her debut album was released in 1985, earning her immediate success, and winning her seven awards in the next two years. Her second album had lots of success too, but critics wanted to see more growth from her. Her third album gave that growth in the sound, but didn't please everyone. In 1991, Whitney performed the national anthem at the Superbowl and despite controversy of lip syncing, her performance is considered the standard that others singers should aspire to. I'll admit that I, as a young-ish child, saw her in The Bodyguard and so thought she had died then. Her character was basically her just with a different name so my dumb brain was all "oh she was shot, how sad" and moved on. I didn't quite grasp the concept of acting yet I guess. I could go on and on about her long career until she really did die in 2012, but then this post will be mega huge. So let's just leave off on a few other key things from her life. She was a big advocate for charities throughout her career which is very inspiring, and even led to her meeting with the president about an action plan for one of her causes. And she married Bobby Brown who was a talented musician in his own right. So there you have it!
Peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment