Hi. Today's song is And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going from Dreamgirls.
I haven't seen Dreamgirls, but it's on my list. It's actually kind of crazy that I haven't seen it yet considering it's based on the music industry following the career of a singing trio. The book was written Tom Eyen and music by Henry Krieger. They first started working together in 1975 when converting a play called The Dirtiest Show in Town written by Eyen into a musical. A singer's performance in that inspired them to work on what would become Dreamgirls. This show is pretty notable for being a mostly African American cast. Broadway has the problem that most other entertainment products do in that its very white-centric. This show (along with In the Heights, and famously Hamilton) creates a place for people typically cast in minority roles. The show premiered on Broadway in 1981 and has had tour runs pretty consistently since then. Most people are more familiar with the movie adaption starring Jennifer Hudson. That's where the clip is from too. She impressed a lot of people with her role in this and its easy to see why. Hope you enjoy the song!
Peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment