Hello everybody. So today's song is Maybe This Time from Cabaret.
Okay I will admit this is the one musical on this list currently that I have not seen. I have every intention of watching it, but you need to be in the right mood to watch musicals or else you'll hate them. It's also why I try to refrain myself from forcing people to watch musicals with me if they don't want to. Anyway, let's get into the history. Cabaret is based off of a play called I Am A Camera written by John Van Druten in 1951. His play was based on a book called Goodbye To Berlin written by Christopher Isherwood in 1939. Now Cabaret came about in 1966 with music & lyrics done by John Kander and Fred Ebb respectively, and the book was written by Joe Masteroff. It started out on Broadway and after a successful run went on a National Tour across the States. Not long after that tour the show came to London on the West End. That was in 1968. After that we didn't see any live shows for a little over a decade, but they did make it into a movie which is what most people think of when they think Cabaret. They started doing revivals of the play in the 80's and have been doing that back and forth between Broadway and the West End since. Now like I said I haven't seen it, but the concept of cabaret (not the musical, but the style of performance) has always intrigued me so this one is going to say on my 'to watch' list. Hopefully soon.
Peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment