Thursday, March 22, 2018

Year 5, Day 132

What's Up. Today's song is All That Jazz from Chicago.


Chicago didn't start as a musical, originally it was a play written by Maurine Dallas Watkins, who was a reporter during the era when the world became obsessed with female killers. In the 20's women were starting to use their sexuality as a tool, and many women were acquitted by all male juries for their crimes. Watkins was assigned to two of these cases specifically, from which the characters were based. Those were the trials of Beulah Annan (Roxie Hart) and Belva Gaertner (Velma Kelly). Her columns on the trial became so popular that she chose to write the play. The play ended up on Broadway in 1926 and had 172 performances. It then sparked two movies Chicago (1927) and Roxie Hart (1942) before Bob Fosse's wife suggested it would be a good musical. Watkins repeated declined his offer to buy it, but he obtained the rights with some others when she died. Josh Kander and Fred Ebb wrote the music, while Fosse and Ebb did the book. The musical was originally on Broadway in 1975 but had been done over, over, and over again. I would list every instance, but there is just so many. The musical was made into a movie in 2002 where this song comes from. I love the movie, but I have also seen a production of Chicago when it toured in my city. You guys know I love musicals, but if I've actually seen it live that means I really love it. I hope you will too.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment