Monday, August 8, 2016

Year 4, Day 168

Hey guys. So today's song is Right Kind of Wrong by Leann Rimes.


The third day of the trip is when we really started to do things. We had a late start because none of the tourist stuff opens until ten, probably so the actual residents can get where they need to be without the hassle of travelers, so we went and had breakfast in the hotel. I had pancakes because I've learned breakfast can be screwed up before, and pancakes are generally easy for anyone. My choice paid off because I enjoyed my breakfast significantly more than my mom enjoyed hers. Then we walked a couple blocks over to go to the Bug Zoo which we couldn't find at first because my mom pointed us in the wrong direction, but eventually we made it there and we were the first ones in. This meant we got a one on one with some of the bugs and a stick bug even laid an egg on my mom which is considered lucky. More people joined the tour as we went on, and we saw all the different bugs. I even held a few including various stick bugs and a tarantula (which is something my family also said I would never do). The tarantula didn't even move she was so used to the routine so it was ideal for anyone terrified of spiders. After the bug zoo we walked down to the wharf where we were going on a whale tour. There were thirteen of us so it was a small group, and the cold and wind caused by the boat moving eventually moved everyone except me down to the lower deck. It gave me the chance to have a nice conversation with one of the girls about her job and my future jobs and whatnot. And yes, we saw whales. There were only three out that day, so there was a little convoy of boats happening as all the tours ended up there together. They keep very efficient though and organize the boats so they are away from the whales and there is are clear paths out of the grouping, so the whales don't get trapped. These guys were locals though so they kept coming up to check the boats out, causing propellers to be shut off so the whales couldn't get hurt. Because we were being dropped off directly to the Butchart Gardens we got to spend more time on the water than most, but eventually we made our way in. It was part of the tour we booked to go to the gardens after, so we got dropped off at a dock on the opposite side from the Butchart entrance and came in the back way. Gardens aren't really my thing, so I let my mom go crazy with pictures and gushing about it while I just kind of walked around aimlessly. The gardens themselves were a lot smaller than I thought they'd be (everyone made it sound like it would take all day, but we were done in two hours.) We caught a bus back to the hotel and on this bus was the only trolling of non-Canadians I encountered. The driver managed to convince some of the passengers that when deer grow up they become moose. I still can't believe that they didn't know it was a farce. Anyway we got back to the hotel (my feet were dying thanks so much blisters) so I stayed in the hotel again and my mom decided she wanted to do another ghost walk later at night when it was dark. It was a pretty full day and I hadn't slept in days so I konked out pretty hard. More to come tomorrow.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment