Thursday, November 27, 2014

Year 3, Day 217

Hey. So today's song is Wonderful Everyday by Chance The Rapper ft. The Social Experiment.


An element of my friendships seems to always be healthy debate. The subject matter varies constantly, and is usually ridiculous, but it makes it interesting and helps to see from a different point of view. The most recent of these little discussions was about soundbites in music. The cause was the song from a few days ago that I mentioned Jay Z used in a song of his. Basically my take is that I usually dislike when artists use sound bites because they just slap them in the middle of a rap as the chorus, and the new generation never has any idea that that isn't their creative material, and then they attribute the musical genius to the wrong artist. Anna took on this challenge and said that "a lot of the time it makes reference to a different time period and adds a layer of feeling it might not otherwise have. Lots of rappers do it. Rap is to music what collage is to visual art. It can be shitty, sure, but more importantly the artist is in control of the whole product that he or she creates through carefully arranging things that the viewer understands already, and adding new components in an unexpected way." I would say that it only really applies when someone takes the soundbite and actually dissects it to then rebuild it up differently, not just plopping it into a song. This song is the example Anna gave me that I do agree is the right way to use it. If you're wondering, the soundbite in it is the theme song to Arthur. I didn't even recognize it at first even though I know the theme and that alone tells me that it was used expertly. So check it out and give your input on the topic. What do you think of soundbites in songs?

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment