Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Year 3, Day 201

Morning! So today's song is Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Chase Holfedler.


Today's is another example of someone taking a song and flipping it on it's side to make an entirely new jam. This song is one I know super well. I went through a pretty big Cyndi Lauper face when I was in junior high, but I still did a double take when I heard this version. Taking a song that is the definition of poppy and putting it all into a minor key...just wow. For those of you who aren't musically literate, the original was in major chords which sound strong and cheerfully bright. Chase made this song using minor chords which are usually heard in sad songs because it's a darker sound. The funny thing is there is only really one note that makes the change between a major to minor. The difference comes from the 3rd being either a major or minor note, and that changes the sound of the whole chord. It's weird I know. This change is something Chase does a lot, it's his thing, so you can check out more if you really like it. Also note that he is accompanying himself on piano and guitar and is also harmonizing with himself twice over, not to mention the tambourine. A lot of effort went into making this and he deserves recognition for it. Check it out.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment