Friday, September 7, 2018

Year 5, Day 301

Hi guys. Today's song is Revolution by The Score.


I had a really interesting conversation with my sister the other day about changing her name. Because she's going to have to for getting married because she doesn't like our last name (because of our father), but she also wasn't too keen of her fiance's name either. And it came down to a discussion of identity. Sammy doesn't feel like her name isn't part of her identity, because both her middle and last name are derived from a man neither of us want anything to do with. Unlike her I've kind of owned my name over the years and taken the ownership away from him (also the fact that my father literally told me to change my name because I'm "not his daughter anymore" makes me want to keep it just to spite him). So after a lengthy discussion she found something that actually makes her feel good. She's going to change her last name to her fiance's but also adopt our grandparents surname, because they basically raised us and are more parental than our parents. She's also going to take the opportunity to switch out her middle name to Edith, which is a family name, being our great grandma's first name, and our grandma's middle name. Personally I never liked the name Edith, but Sammy does so power to her. As for me, I'm keeping the Fisher nonsense, because I'll be damned if I don't take the opportunity to rub any accomplishment I have in the face of someone as ridiculous as my namesake. He raised me to be that petty and defiant... at east until I have a significant other that might be on the level where I need to change it. Then we can revisit how spiteful I want to live my life. I'm curious what your take is on this? Have you changed your name for anything, or already know you wont? Let me know.

These are songs we never get tired of. My grandma stayed old school with Amazing Grace by Loretta Lynn, and Will chose Orion by Metallica (shocker). Sammy went with Push + Pull by July Talk, Anna said Cash Machine by DRAM, and then my mom chose Slow Hands by Niall Horan.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment