Sunday, November 7, 2010

Singing About her.

What's in a name? A LOT!! Well, when it comes to singing about a girl, it matters to me. There's no doubt thousands of songs out there about different people, whether it's the title of the song, or just mentioned in the song in every verse. And although there are so many songs about people out there, I have yet to come across one about a Stephanie or Steph or Stefi. I would accept it being an angsty song, where this Stephanie character is the evil girl who broke their heart...so long as there was a song about her. I know it sound weird, but I just really want a song with my name in it that can sort of act as my anthem in times of trouble or confusion.

I know in a lot of the rants I do and will do, I tend to over exaggerate just a bit too much, but I assure you this time I'm not:


The song Chelsea that summer set did. It's super catchy and the main part (the one that everyone knows by the end) is just a repeat of her name six times. Don't believe me? Go back and listen to the chorus. Half the words in it are 'Chelsea.'




And what about the song Becky by Be Your Own Pet? (to appear later in the 365) Sure the song is about some bitch named Becky, but still it's about her, named after her, and once again her name is part of the chorus...even though it's mostly the guys in the band saying Becky in the background.




Don't even try and blame it on names that are generic. I have never met some one name Rhonda (yes that's right, I'm talking about the Beach Boys) and I have met a lot of people. Yet, the song is called help me Rhonda and they say that line many many times.





Is Stephanie just a bad omen? I notice in movies the character who ends up dead is (more often then not) named that. Well I must say it depresses me a little bit. So if you know a song about someone with my name, dare to share. Or if you write music and are itching for a new project, take up my cause, and write a song about me....which will be a difficult challenge if you don't know me well.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. I know a song with your name in it! Stephanie Says, by The Velvet Underground.
    It's also somewhat moody.

    ReplyDelete