Friday, July 9, 2021

Year 7, Day 238

Good Morning! Today's song is Give Up The Funk by Parliament.

Photo by: Richard Anderson

So the band situation for this one is kind of confusing because there are a bunch of different names. There was Parliament, and Funkadelic, and then later they formed a music collective known as Parliament-Funkadelic. All the iterations are the brainchild of George Clinton, and active since 1955. It started off as Parliament, a doo-wop group before he relocated to Detroit and started a different Parliament group who did commercial funk music, and Funkadelic which landed more towards psychedelic rock. They both released music consistently, and this song came out in 1976. As for the collective, it's made up of some pretty prominent musicians, but overall I can't really be sure who did what, so I'm not going to list anyone. Although I will say that sixteen members have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Then as a group, they received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019. So while a little confusing on the band front, their music is still fantastic. So I hope you enjoy. 

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment