Thursday, July 8, 2021

Year 7, Day 237

Good Morning! Today's song is Good Vibrations by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch featuring Loleatta Holloway.


So my sister had some time off and came home for a little bit, which is great because it coincides with Alberta's opening which means my grandma and I actually got to see her. While she was home she also was working on getting her second vaccination, but apparently there's a shortage right now and people's appointments were being pushed back. And her and I are both weird about doctors and needles so we want situations to be a certain way to make our anxiety more manageable. So she plans to wait until the location she always goes to has stuff again rather than scour the city for an appointment elsewhere, which I agree with. It's her choice how she does it, as long as she does it. My aunt does not agree. She found out my sister was here, booked an appointment for her like she's a child (despite my sister being over 30 years old and married) and lectured her about not being more aggressive with getting it done. And look, I get it. The sooner people are vaccinated the better, but body autonomy is a thing that exists and the rules of society means we still have to respect people's personal choices about their bodies even if we don't agree. I hate the fact that there are people who refuse to get the vaccine at all ever, but I also recognize that there's nothing I can do about it, because I am not them. It's a discussion that's been around way before vaccines, usually used most when talking about abortions, but the fact is body autonomy is a personal right. And life would be much much worse overall if that right was gone. So this is just a reminder to be civil when people have a different opinion. You can try and convince people to change their minds about vaccinations if you want, but coercion or threatening people to get your way doesn't do anything but make them dig their heels in more. Case in point: my sister. After the crap with my aunt, she's now leaving today to go back to work early... despite this being the first family time since maybe Christmas two years ago. So basically what I'm telling you guys is to not take for granted the people in your life right now? And remember everyone has their own decisions to make...yeah.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment