Good Morning! Today's song is Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice.

Yes, my guilty pleasure. I don't care what you guys think about that, we all have at least one. I will also never forget his real name because I had an English teacher in junior high with the same one. I remember vividly when one girl asked to call him Vanilla Ice...he was less than amused. Anyway, on to the famous Robert Van Winkle. His friends were actually the ones who gave him the Vanilla moniker because he was the only white break dancer in their group. He hated the nickname. Then when he started rapping it followed, then got combined with a dance move he would do, hence Vanilla Ice was born. He actually wrote Ice Ice Baby at 16 which is hilarious and impressive. After flirting with the idea of racing motorcross, he got hurt and while recuperating got dared to enter an open mic night. It led to a regular gig at the club. After being signed they tried to release a different song that wasn't getting good traction, but one radio guy played the wrong side and instead started the rise Ice Ice Baby had in popularity. He signed with a new label in the 90's who released a fake biography about him to counteract his decision to keep his private life private. Which is a dick move. I'm going to end there because that is only one thing in a long line of crap he had to deal with in his career and I don't think you'd want to hear about that. So instead we're going to listen to the song and recognize that we all secretly like it a little. Sound good? Great.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment