Monday, December 25, 2017

Year 5, Day 45

Hey. Today's song is the 12 Days Of Christmas from Bob and Doug McKenzie.


Merry Christmas!! Well, Merry Christmas, or Happy Hanukkah, or Happy Kwanzaa, or whatever holiday you celebrate (I'm sure I'm missing tons so I apologize). Actually leave me a comment and let me know what you celebrate so I can look it up. I like learning new stuff. Anyway these guys are fictional characters originally created for the Great White North sketch, but are kind of staples of Canadian culture now. One thing I can say about my country is we at least own up to our weirdness and can make fun of ourselves well (just look at the Olympics 2010 opening and that's obvious.) Bob and Doug came to be because a difference in US vs Canadian broadcasting standards, where there was an extra two minutes of show time on the Canadian end (because we use less commercials I guess) and the network requested two minutes of specifically Canadian content. Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas thought that was an idiotic request considering it was a Canadian show produced and starring Canadians, so they improvised the characters and spent an hour of studio time just sitting hanging out drinking beer, cooking back bacon and talking about the most cliched things possible. Bob and Doug quickly became the most liked part of the show. With the success they have made comedy albums and have done a movie which I used to watch all the time. They are our affectionately stereotypical Canadian boys, and we love them for it. I hope you will to.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment