Sunday, December 24, 2017

Year 5, Day 44

We interrupt your usual programming to bring you some Christmas music since it is that time of year. So today's song is All I Want For Christmas Is You by Chase Holfelder.


Fair warning, this version of the song is in the minor key. I find it cool, but it can seem a bit depressing considering it's supposed to be a happy holiday jam so if that's not your style I'm saying it now.Chase is a singer/songwriter in North Carolina, but he's most notably a YouTuber. He's known for song such as this where he changes major songs into minor keys. If you've never heard one done, you should check out all the stuff he's got on his channel because the difference is crazy. Most music is written with major chords because they sound happy while minor chords sound either sad or haunted. Personally my favorite are diminished chords. They're similar to minor chords, but the fifth adds a level of creep that speaks to my inner weirdo. We used to do tests in choir where the pianist played a chord and we had to guess what it was (major, minor, diminished, or augmented) so that's why I have a favorite type. If you're curious about music theory, here's a video about one part I like which is the circle of fifths so check that out if you feel like it.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment