Hiya. So today's song is Land of 1000 Dances by Wilson Pickett.
If you don't know at least one of the songs this guy has written, then I feel sorry for you. And also proud because I'll be the first person to introduce you to him. Personally this one that I'm featuring is my favorite. It's so catchy! Plus I mean if you wanted a list of all the popular dances before the dougie, this is pretty good. He started off in choirs before moving on to join a gospel group. After four years touring churches with one group, he joined another who were bringing gospel to the masses. Eventually he switched his style to soul music and went for a solo career, and actually sent a demo out to Atlantic Records. Except the label gave the song to someone else because they're dicks. He stayed on with the label despite the conflict, and later he got the success he wanted with In The Midnight Hour. He had a pretty troubled life (to put it lightly) which I'm sure can be traced back to his abusive mom. If you're curious there is a documentary about this life somewhere out there.
Peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment