What's Up. Today's song is Runaway by Del Shannon.
I always talk about things and people being my favorite, but more than any other song for the genre this one is my absolute honest favorite one. I always end up singing it to myself. I would sing it to other people, but most don't know what it is and then everyone is just super confused. Del Shannon is not his real name, and is in fact a pseudonym combining the name a wrestler who used to come to the club he headlined, and his favorite car to create it. This song was one of his older hits, that he ended up rewriting and releasing with use of a different instrument called a clavioline. It was basically a three tone keyboard that could mess with sound, and was a precursor to a modern day synthesizer. This song was easily his most known, and he never hit as big in the States after its release. He continued to do music in the UK though, and actually covered a Beatles song which ended up on the charts in the States before the original did. His career after this song was fueled mostly by covers of other songs, including Do You Wanna Dance which I featured earlier this week. He kept on that way for quite a while. Tragically, he suffered from depression, and actually ended up taking his own life in the end. It's always horrible when someone feels bad enough that they must do that, but I'm thankful to have at least been exposed to some of his music in my lifetime. His legacy can live on.
Peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment