Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Year 6, Day 250

Good Morning! Today's song is River Deep, Mountain High by Ike and Tina Turner.


I've already written about these guys so instead I'm going to rant about something I found out when I was researching some other people. Apparently some singers have been buying the rights to other peoples' songs and earning the royalties from those. I didn't even know that was a thing, and I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand if the artist has passed and has no family that the rights could pass to then it seems okay, although depending on the age of the song I'd like it to become public domain instead. Then on the other hand if it's a song that someone still living has created and they aren't given the right to their own song because the record label offered it to someone else I consider that just dirty pool. There are singers who have bought songs and then given them to the original artists before (although for the life of me I can't remember who that was...I've looked up way too many people) which in that case I think it's nice and a sweet gesture between people in the industry. It's becoming more of a trend that labels don't automatically get the rights to songs anymore but there are still a lot that get pushed around on the market and are up for grabs. I'm really torn here, I can see the pro's and con's of this, but I want to know what your opinion is. Did you guys know that this happens? Do you feel strongly about others earning the cash from a song they had nothing to do with, or do you think it's comparable to something like buying stocks in a company. Let me know!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment