Hey guys. Today's song is Lean On Me by Bill Withers.
![]() |
| Photo from: annulla |
This song will always have a special place in my heart, along with all the other ones I sang in choir. I wont say we did a good job, because when I watch the video I have of us doing it makes me cringe, but I still do regard it differently after practicing it so much. Anyway, Bill Withers. William Withers Jr was a singer/songwriter active from 1967 until 1985. He first became interested in singing and songwriting while he was enlisted in the Navy which he was in for nine years. After that was when his music career started, moving to LA and recording demo tapes and performing in nightclubs while working as an assembler in factories. He was signed in 1970, releasing his first album in 1971. The success led to him touring, and even winning a Grammy in 1972. That same year he did his second album which is where this song is from, and (as you can imagine) was a huge hit. He had another album in 1974, but when a legal dispute popped up, he was frozen from recorded for awhile after that. Instead, he spent time writing, producing, and performing. In 1975 he signed with a new label and released a new album, followed by more in 1976, 1977, and 1978. After that he had trouble getting songs approved by the label for his albums, so he spent most of his career doing joint projects with other artists, some of which earns him nominations and wins for Grammys. His final album came out in 1985, which actually had many songs that were previously rejected by the label, and frustrations with the label led to him parting ways with them. Can't say I blame him. He was with Columbia who has been known to treat their artists badly through their history. It was his disdain for these record executives that stained his love of the music industry, and ultimately led to him ending his career, seeing no point in making more music when he no longer loved it, and he's said that he doesn't regret that decision. There's no denying the impact he's had on the industry as his songs are some of the most covered ones from that decade, so even though it's a relatively short career compared to some, I am forever greatly he gave us these masterpieces.
Peace.
_-_Bill_Withers_3164.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment