Hello there to whoever reads Steph's blog! I'm her beloved and cherished friend Taylor. Today she asked me to do a guest post! I was originally invited to write about Depeche Mode's "Enjoy The Silence", but I feel like I wouldn't be able to do that song any sort of verbal justice, as I'm just getting into Depeche Mode themselves.
I assume that because of who I am, Steph will have expected me to do a Beatles song, or make an ass out of myself by writing about Big Booty Hoes by Notorious B.I.G. or something. (Don't worry world, it'll happen one day.)
Instead the song I picked was The Times They Are A-Changin' by Bob Dylan. I don't want to put music in the blog that Stefi herself won't enjoy, but I honestly don't know her opinion on Dylan, or if she has one at all.
I find this song to be extremely powerful in so many ways. Almost too many to properly write about. The lyrics for one, and how they're complimented perfectly by the simple acoustic guitar and harmonica. Just listening to it again, trying to find a perfect line to some up the song, I feel like the best one is the title name.
This song speaks to every person or action that has tried slow progress. The first verse speaks directly to you. Love the change and wonder around you, don't fight it. The next verse declares itself to anyone artistically inclined (in my opinion). To those whose inspiration comes from events, landscapes, and the people around them, "For the loser now will be later to win, for the times they are a-changin'." The following verse is an obvious stab at the older generation of any time period. The people generally don't like change. Dylan writes that you need to embrace it, as your youthful companions are "beyond your command." After that, there comes the politicians. Dylan begs for them to not try and stand in the way of development, or there will be an uproar.
The final verse sums up to everything he's already said, but in such a way that's almost heartbreaking. It's a plea, in my opinion, but also a very confident passage explaining how he sees the world. And how it's changing.
Heavens, I feel like I wrote too much.
The best way to end this post is to give a recap on my outlook and a link to the song.
In many ways, Dylan has written an essay supporting the change that he sees around him and encourages others to adopt the greater good around them. Paired with the simple guitar:
(G-Em-C-G
G-Am-C-D
G-Em-C-G
G-Am-D
D-D7-Gmaj7-D
G-C-D-G)
and the moving harmonica line, Dylan created a symbollic masterpiece that yes, is also fun to sing along to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ - Sorry, this was only one I could find on YouTube with this good of quality. Plus this is a really good video to listen to it with I suppose.
We all need more Bob Dylan in our lives. <3
- Taylor
xx

No comments:
Post a Comment