Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this is a bad thing. It creates music for every type of person out there, because you know as well as I do that people do not fit into cliche's perfectly by any means. I would just like to know what genre something is. Perhaps the band should have to tell us upon release dates. Have it say on the back of the CD:
"the following music is performed in public under the classification of R&B punk lite"
Although I guess that might be kind of strange...
Question. Do you think music should always be classified in the same genre as the band is put in?
![]() |
| I liked you much better when you were this small |
I've definitely heard songs that don't fit the status quo of the rest done by a band or singer. Hell the best example is The Moffatts whose CD that I own is filled with feel good songs completely, until you get to the last song which sounds like a soundtrack you slit your wrists to. No offence boys, I still love the song, but it is way too different than what you normally do. It scared me slightly.
My answer to the question would have to be no, since if I was in the mood for some peppy loving life tunes and then they played something really depressing, just because of who sang it, I'd be pissed.
I should be able to think of more bands to give as examples, but I really can't. Perhaps you can voice some examples of your own...if you agree with me on the matter.
Peace.

This album cover scares me slightly.
ReplyDeleteI agree, it's nice to have a way to describe music consistently. On the other hand, genre-bending leads to some sweet music sometimes.
... and sometimes it leads to rap-metal.