Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Year 8, Day 334

Hey guys. Today's song is Wellerman by Nathan Evans.

You guys have no idea how long this has been sitting there for me to showcase it, but I could never find a good spot to slip it in. So Nathan Evans is a Scottish singer active since 2020 when his renditions of sea shanties went viral on TikTok, which led to other people joining in and creating something amazing. I've included this reaction video showing a bunch of the additions of people and also this remix version that I think is great as well. The popularity earned him a record deal and they released an official cover of the song (which I'm featuring today) along with some other songs in 2021. He released his debut album in 2022 so you should go check that out if you're interested. As for this sea shanty, the story is based on the 18th century whaling industry where the crew is waiting for the wellerman (which were the employees of the Weller brothers who would bring provisions to the whalers. It you're curious look up the history of the industry, and check out some other shanties while you're at it.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment