Saturday, May 13, 2023

Year 8, Day 317

Hey guys. Today's song is Ohio from Wonderful Town.

So this might be the only musical I'm featuring that I've never actually seen. Wonderful Town is a musical from 1953 with book by Joseph Fields and Jerome Chodorov, with music by Leonard Bernstein and lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green. It was based on an autobiography from Ruth McKenney that was then made into a different play, then made into this one and is so changed that it's not biographical anymore, but is a fiction story following two sisters and their aspirations to be a writer and an actress. It premiered on Broadway in 1953 and won five Tony Awards and has been revived four times since, with a Broadway revival in 2003. While not necessarily that popular as a whole, some of its songs (like this one) crop up once in awhile so I figured I'd feature it anyway.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment