Hey guys. Today's song is This Hell by Rina Sawayama.
![]() |
| Photo from: TimeDilation |
Rina Sawayama is a Japanese British artist active since 2013 as a solo artist, although technically she was in a hip hop group before that while she was in school. She started off with some singles while using the stage name Riina. She started doing music videos in 2015, then released her debut EP in 2017 independently. She did some more singles in 2018 including one about her sexual identity. She was a supporting act on Chalie XCX's tour in 2019 before getting signed in 2020 and releasing her debut album which went huge but was snubbed from being included in the BRIT Awards since she doesn't have citizenship (rather she has an indefinite leave to remain visa which I have never heard of until now). In 2021 she re-released one of her songs with Elton John, who was a big supporter in getting the British Phonographic Industry to change their policy after her BRIT Award issue. She started touring in 2021 before releasing her next album this year. I'll be honest, even though this song works best out of the ones I have saved to go in this spot today, I didn't want to put it up yet. And that's because I love it so much that I wanted to keep it on my list and listen to it every time I field through my saved stuff, but that's just greedy of me, so I'm showing it to you today. It definitely classifies as an anthem and is so damn good, and is actually probably the first representation of a polyamorous relationship I've seen in a music video. As you guys know my personal orientation is about as basic as it can be, but I've always campaigned for people's personal preferences (so long as it is consensual and doesn't hurt anyone) to be only the business of the people in that relationship so I think this representation is great and the song is a definite bop. Hope you enjoy it.
Peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment