Hello everyone. So today's song is Shogun by Trivium. This song is on here specifically because of Will so I'm going to make him do this post. We'll see how that goes!
Hello Everyone, I am Will. I don't know much about music, other than what I enjoy. As well, this is my first ever blog, I hope you enjoy, since I don't really know what I'm doing.
Shogun is the song that got me hooked onto Trivium, simply for the fact that I loved Matt Heafy's vocals. But before I go on, I want you to know I was a huge fan of Metallica since I was 16, Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning were the first CD's I ever purchased. They were the band that got me into metal, so I grew to love the fast riffing, and melodic guitars, and face melting solos that were so prevalent in the 80's era of Metallica, and for a while I only listened to Metallica day in and day out. I grew accustomed to that sort of sound, and didn't enjoy songs if they didn't have a similar sound.
Back to Shogun, it's the title track for Trivium's 4th studio album. It features Matt Heafy on rhythm guitar/vocals, Corey Beaulieu on lead guitar, Paolo Greglotto on bass, and Travis Smith on drums. When I was about 21, my friend had just bought the Shogun album. He rushes me to his truck and tells me to listen to a specific point at 4:30 of the song. Instantly I was captured by the soft melodic guitar solo, then the vocals this familiar voice begins singing; "The pulse is now quickening, softly it's painstaking. Look within to calm the storm, raging inside the form. there's no turning back." Then some more melodic guitars, and I was so shocked, I paused it and I asked my buddy if it was James Hetfield singing, he laughed, and said he thought the same thing. I just thought, this is fucking amazing! I restarted the song over to enjoy it in its fullest. I just thought the guitars were fucking badass, then the sound of the drums, man I love drums, (I wanted to be a drummer when I was younger) just fit in so well. Then Matt starts singing, I was drawn in and just sat intensely listening to the first minute of this kickass song, then he starts screaming; "FLESH OPENS UP, BLOOD'S RETREATING!" before this, I never really listened to metal that had screaming, nor had I wanted to with much passion, since I thought most screaming was of a certain, incomprehensible style. I know now, since I've broadened my horizons there are so many different styles. But this, this I just wanted more of. I just loved the lyrics, and the vocals, and the sound of the guitars. Just everything about this song got me excited! I was so thankful there was over 11 minutes of metal bliss, and this new metal God in Matt Heafy and Trivium. After that day, I purchased the previous 3 albums, and all the following albums. 8 years, 3 concerts, hours upon hours of deafening Trivium, cause it's best played loud, Shogun is still one of my favorite songs, and albums, among my collection. if you've never listened to this song or band, give them a listen, you won't be disappointed! Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed my short(ish) blurb.

No comments:
Post a Comment