Good Morning! Today's song is Summer Nights from Grease.
This musical was written by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey, and if any of you know The Outsiders, you know why it's called Grease. It was written to subvert 50's tropes and it actually does a pretty good job while also dealing with some serious issues. It was first performed in 1971 in a nightclub and eventually moved on to theaters and then to Broadway, having the longest Broadway run by 1980. The movie saw some changes to plot and adding songs written by John Farrer, changes that have in some cases been added to revivals of the musical. We don't talk about Grease 2 because like Jim Jacobs, I do not approve of it, so let's all pretend it doesn't exist. I've actually seen a production of Grease when I went to California in school and it was awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested.
Peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment