Hey guys. Today's song is Good 4 U by Olivia Rodrigo.

Olivia Rodrigo is an American singer and actress active since 2015. So she did some commercials, and the TV shows Bizaardvark starting in 2016 and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series in 2019, which I still maintain is the dumbest name of a TV show I've encountered. As for her music career, she signed with a label in 2020, and actually negotiated so she keeps the rights to her masters. The fact that artists know to do that now is a step in the right direction for the music industry because too many have gotten shafted in the past. Olivia's debut single was released in 2021, followed by two more leading up to her debut album. This was the third single she released, which is also featured in her album released later in 2021. As of 2022 she left the show she was cast in so she can focus on music full time. Fun Fact: on this song writing credits were given to Hayley Williams and Josh Farro from Paramore because the chorus is similar to Misery Business. I don't like that Olivia's response to plagiarism claims before the credits were added was along the lines of young women's work gets penalized because that argument suggests only new female artists have to fight these claims which is just not true. But she is right on that pop music is basically all the same four chord progression just done differently, and there is really only so many ways to style it. You guys may remember me showing you the 4 Chord Song from Axis of Awesome and that showcases this point flawlessly. Anyway, I enjoy this song, and it brings to mind the Paramore age of music with female pop rockers that I miss, so if you do too give this one a go.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment