Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Year 8, Day 250

Hey guys. Today's song is Like A Prayer by Madonna.

Photo by: Chris Weger

So I've mentioned before that I'm doing a book journal this year, but I can't remember if I told you that one of my goals is to read a classic novel each month. So far I've read 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (which I hated) and The Odyssey (which requires good concentration but was pretty alright). This month I've been reading Dracula... or more accurately listening to a reading of it on YouTube. I thought I knew the story of Dracula because I'm really into fantasy stuff so I consume a lot of vampire content, but it was not what I expected it to be. Dracula is less a character than a sort of boogeyman throughout, you probably see him the least out of everyone, which is a unique way of writing it, but I like it. Van Helsing was kind of a let down as I'm more used to Hugh Jackman's warrior Van Helsing than doctor/professor/semi-madman Van Helsing, but interesting to see what the character started as. I need to know why though everything I've ever seen shows Mina as a meek victim? Sure she wasn't out there fighting, but she was the MVP of the whole story. Without her nothing would have progressed...ever. Spoilers warning, but Mina wrote the letters that led Van Helsing to her, Mina decided to pull out the journal from her husband again, Mina put together all the information so it followed a full history of events, Mina is the reason Renfrew talked and Mina was the last why and how they tracked Dracula. I would argue that she and Dr. Seward are the main characters over anyone else. An argument could be made for the others, but this is just my opinion. If you're curious you should give it a listen, the narrator does a great job of giving everyone a unique voice and making you feel like the characters actually are the ones talking. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it, maybe you will be too.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment